There are many unique aspects to the financial services industry — how you approach SEO successfully is one of them.
Here, you’ll find:
- The importance of YMYL and E-A-T
- How to increase your site’s trustworthiness
- Tops for successful finserv content
- Why long-tail keywords matter
Got your mind on your money and your money on your mind?
That’s where the financial services industry, or finserv, comes in. These companies are all about helping people, businesses, and other organizations manage their dollars and cents.
Compared to other industries, finance players often take a unique approach when it comes to designing their digital marketing strategy. Often, this includes a heavy focus on search engine optimization, or SEO.
With trust being the pillar of finserv marketing success, SEO can be a big part of helping people see your company as worthy of that trust. By taking actions like combining key aspects of technical SEO and committing to quality content, you can bring your website to the top of the SERPs while establishing your business as an industry leader.
1. Understand YMYL and E-A-T
The majority of web pages for finserv companies fall into the YMYL category. YMYL stands for “Your Money or Your Life.” According to Google, these pages could affect the “happiness, health, financial stability or safety” of users.
For companies that offer financial services, YMYL pages can contain financial advice or information about:
- Retirement planning
Pages that allow online purchases and money transfers also fall in this category. When deciding how to rank a YMYL page, Google relies on its E-A-T (expertise, authoritativeness, trustworthiness) standards. E-A-T stands for:
- Expertise: The content you share on the website should demonstrate expertise in the subject.
- Authoritativeness: You should have relevant credentials (qualifications, experience) to give advice or share information on YMYL pages.
- Trustworthiness: You need to show your business is reliable through things like providing reviews from real customers, having clear contact data, and having updated, accurate content.
While you can demonstrate E-A-T with various marketing tactics, content remains the most effective avenue. With this in mind, make sure each blog post and site page has been vetted carefully. Everything you post should provide value for your users, especially if the content can have an impact on their financial future.
2. Use content clusters
Whatever niche of the finserv industry you’re in, the information and advice you plan to share can sometimes be technical or complex. To make it easier for users to digest your content while increasing the appeal to search engines, consider implementing content clusters.
Content clusters consist of a pillar page and several supporting pages:
- Pillar page: serve as a main subject overview with general information about the topic
- Supporting pages: in-depth content on sub-topics covered in the pillar page with links to the pillar page
Besides simplifying the search for information on your website, content clusters allow you to employ a robust internal linking strategy, use a variety of keywords, and demonstrate your expertise.
3. Add visual content
When it comes to financial advice or data, infographics carry a high value. This type of shareable content can boost the traffic to your website tremendously. It can also simplify complex information you need to share and make it more digestible for your target audience.
Video marketing is another way to more easily explain confusing subjects while attracting your audience’s eyes and attention. Viewers claim they retain 95% of a message when obtained via video, according to Social Media Week.
Consider implementing different types of visual content, including:
- Explainer or how-to videos
- Case studies
- Review videos
- Webinar recordings
- Q&A videos
Concise, informative videos tend to generate shares and can boost your backlinking efforts to boot.
Want more? Check out our webinar recording, Financial Services Marketing: 14 Proven Ways to Drive Revenue with PPC.
4. Repurpose old content
If your company and blog have been around a while, it’s likely that you already have at least a handful of existing content on your website. To improve your financial services SEO efforts, it may be time to give these posts another look.
Here are some ways you can repurpose and refresh your current content:
- Updates: The financial sector is highly volatile. A big chunk of your content can become outdated quickly. However, it doesn’t mean you need to create new content while letting the previous content languish. Simply update your old posts and articles to reflect changes. This will also help you build up page authority.
- New audiences: You can repurpose old content to suit new segments of your target audience as well. For example, leave the core data intact but tweak or add to it to suit another audience segment. (This could look like adding in a reference that Gen Z would get.)
- Formats: Got a well-performing blog post or webinar? Create a supplementary piece of content that you can internally link to the existing content to generate even more traffic.
Particularly for financial topics, it’s crucial for the content on your site to be accurate, helpful, and up to date if you want your company to be seen as an authority.
5. Take a smart approach to keywords
The finserv industry can be highly competitive. With multiple businesses vying for the same customers, the right approach to using keywords can be a game-changer.
Make sure you’re paying attention to long-tail keywords to catch customers closer to the middle of the sales funnel. Unsurprisingly, target audiences for financial service companies often browse numerous websites before making the purchase decision.
By employing long-tail keywords, you can attract those who have already done some research about the subject. These people may be more likely to convert than those who search using more general high-volume keywords.
6. Improve your trustworthiness
As mentioned above, trust is a key issue both for the consumers and search engines when it comes to financial services SEO. Because of that, keeping your brand’s trustworthiness top of mind should be an ongoing part of your efforts.
Effective ways to ensure you’re being seen as a trustworthy source include:
- Adding clear contact info on relevant pages
- Eliminating 404 errors
- Using informative domain and URL names
- Having strong site architecture and Schema markup
- Creating an easy-to-navigate website
- Displaying all accreditations, certifications, and other achievements
- Adding reviews, success stories, and testimonials to relevant web pages
While search engine optimization for financial service companies is similar to other industries, some aspects need special attention. It’s imperative for finserv sector players to focus on the trustworthiness and high value of the posted content as well as the structure of their websites.
A strong financial services SEO campaign can help your company survive in the highly competitive industry and become a leader in your niche.